*This post contains affiliate links. They are provided for your convenience.
During the hot summer days, I like to rock the no-makeup look. But like most things that look “effortless” it takes effort to make it happen! While we lived in Oahu, I went to the beach a lot and quite often alone. I worked from 3am-11am (that’s a story for another day!) and my husband was at school when I’d get off work.
Still, I liked to wear makeup when I swam and I took the opportunity of going to the beach solo to test a lot and I mean A LOT of different waterproof products to find the ones that worked for me–that way I got to avoid the embarrassment of having running makeup in front of my husband ;). It cost quite a bit of money but by the time we moved back to the mainland I had nailed my no-makeup look for snorkeling and swimming in the ocean.
This is my routine. If you don’t love a color or product I use, adapt it to fit your likes/wants/needs — make it your own.
I cleanse, moisturize, wait a couple minutes and apply SPF (in that order) before I start make-up application. Again, this is what works for me so I stick with it.
- MAKE UP FOR EVER MAT VELVET + Matifying Foundation – this foundation is water resistant and build-able (you can apply it lightly with a sponge or build coverage with a foundation brush). I have sensitive skin and this foundation works great for me. Wore this foundation pretty much every day when we lived in Hawaii because even if I wasn’t swimming, it held up in the humidity.
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Cream Kit (I use light to medium) – I’ve tried a few contouring kits and this one is my favorite! If you aren’t comfortable using a cream formula Anastasia Beverly Hills also makes a matte finish contour kit.
- Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder – I use this to set the foundation and contouring before I use powder products.
- tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush (in Blushing Bride)
- BECCA Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed (in Opal) – I dust this along my cheek bones, the bridge of my nose, forehead, and chin as I would a highlighter.
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Definer (in Chocolate)
- L’ORÉAL Voluminous Volume Building Waterproof Mascara (in Black) – this is my favorite waterproof mascara, it definitely works the best of the ones I’ve tried. After swimming or snorkeling, I dab my eyelashes with a towel rather than wiping them to prevent smudging.
- Buxom Full-On Lip Stick (in Marrakech) – I use Marrakech which is a beige nude color in a matte finish. I love this color!
*You probably noticed that not all of these products are waterproof . . . enter MAKE UP FOR EVER Aqua Seal — this stuff is amazing. It makes powders and pencils into waterproof formulas. Remember that a little goes a LONG way and you should rinse your applicator IMMEDIATELY after using it to stop your brushes from clumping.
There you have it — the steps to achieve this no-makeup look and to make it waterproof for summer activities!
Let me know if you try out this look and how you made it your own, I’d love to hear about it!